All newcomer drivers to Stage Rallying are required to undertake a Motorsport Ireland “Introduction to Motorsport Course” prior to being issued with a competition licence. The aim of these courses is to give each newcomer a safe and enjoyable introduction to the sport and prepare them for their first event. The courses are 6 – 8 hours long and include theory, practical and on-track/stage driving tuition and are taught by Level 1 grade Coaches who have been certified by the NCTC and MI. Also, successful completion of a course is counted as one upgrading signature i.e. one guaranteed event finish! Here is a brief outline of what you will need to do:
1. Apply to Motorsport Ireland for an Introductory Pack: Cost = €10
This can be done by telephoning or calling to the MI office at 34 Dawson Street, Dublin 2, Phone: 01 6775628. The pack can be paid for by credit card. The pack will contain:
- A Current MI Yearbook (containing the Rules & Regulations)
- A Licence Application Form
- An IRDS (Insurance) Application Form
- Course Details – how to book, costs etc.
- An Introductory DVD/Video
- Some additional preparatory information.
- A Booking Reference Number
2. Book Your Course: (Quote your booking reference number)
RallyConnection, Millstreet, Cappagh, Dungarvan, Co.Waterford, Ph/Fax: 058 47000 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Cost of course = €375.00
3. Complete the Course:
Here is a brief outline of the course content:
- 8.30am Sign-on and Registration
- An introduction to the course
- Safety Clothing & Equipment
- Safety Signs and Signals
- Driving Theory
- Practical Driving Instruction
- Driving Assessment
Your Licence Application Form will be stamped by the School
4. Apply to Motorsport Ireland for your Competition Licence:
Cost = €40 if you are a member of an Affiliated Motor Club and you have had your form stamped by the club, otherwise the cost will be €80. Now you are ready to go!